Monday, January 28, 2013

These Are a Few.../Poltergeists


It's Monday again! Funny how that happens! I was proud of myself on Friday - the "bit by the blues" day. There were two ways to go: fall into disrepair and surrender to sadness and lethargy or what I did which was make the list and work the list even though it felt like I was swimming in molasses. I don't know about you, but, when I'm down, the things I normally breeze through with a song on my lips become painfully hard to accomplish. Mantra that's knocking around in my head these days, "I'm tired of disappointing myself."  And sure enough, with a list of accomplishments under my belt, I felt great going out in the evening and I had a wonderful time, socializing and singing. Mood lifted.

Saturday, the memorial for Mark was in a huge and impressive Catholic Church on Chicago's north side (St. Vincent De Paul). It was a good send off for him, decently attended, heartfelt remarks by friends and family. I could have spoken - there was an opportunity but I didn't because I didn't feel my comments were necessary and, had I sung, I think it would have been show-offy. Didn't go to the restaurant afterwards with his scary mother (I understand now why Mark was estranged from her). Instead I went home and cooked healthy food for the week. Christ came over for dinner and rehearsal (he's in my show). Fun. Last night, sang with Mark Burnell at 12 West Elm. Ironic, because earlier, I sent texts to everyone on my text list telling them NOT to go out - the roads were scary slippery - didn't heed my own warning.

 Oh, and yesterday there were match-making Poltergeists in Patrick's and my phones. A text sent to him in error and then an unintended phone call from him (nothing but rustling). And then, later, when I did the freak out with the freezing rain, sure I would lose someone dear to me in an accident, and I communicated with everyone on my text list to STAY PUT!, I included everyone but him. Wasn't going to text him but then got superstitious. "What if he gets in an accident because I failed to include him in my warning? What if the universe decides to punish me?" So, I cautioned him (knowing he hates it when women are mom-ish), threw some salt over my shoulder after walking to the kitchen without stepping on the seams of the tiles (don't want my mother's back broken) and then knocked on some wood.  Everyone I love is, to my knowledge, still in one piece this morning. (Too much death lately)

Last night, as I slipped my Yaktrax on my feet before braving the icy elements, I thought it might be fun to itemize in this blog some of my favorite things. No raindrops on roses or whiskers on kittens - this is a much more practical list and if I were mercenary I could probably monetize this blog and make a few dollars by recommending these items and linking readers to purchase sites. But no, that's not the purpose of this blog, so rest assured I have no ax to grind in sharing these favorites with you!

  • Yaktrax - If you live in the north you really should consider these. There are days like yesterday where even the most sure-footed shoes can't stand up to the icy sidewalks - you risk falling. These little devices fold up pretty small and are easy to slip onto the bottom of your shoes. The metal coils grip the ice and make you incredibly sure-footed - you can run on ice with these on! Only caution is being careful wearing them in the house or a store - they make you less sure-footed on slippery floors. If you get them, opt for the premium ones - you'll want them to last years.

  • Vibram Five Fingers Shoes - I've written about these before - how in love I am with them. These are my "go-to" shoes - I wear them almost exclusively in the house and have no problem wearing them to run errands (conversation starters!) Picture is of the ones I have, but they come in a bunch of colors and styles. Until I started wearing these shoes I had foot problems - couldn't stand for long, some arthritis, pain when I walked. Now, gone, gone gone. I have the sturdiest and healthiest of feet thanks to these shoes. And it's not just the feet that benefit. By having your feet working harder and better, it improves everything skeletally - leg and pelvis alignment, etc. One caveat. Don't buy these online. You need to get fitted. And when you try them on you will be exasperated. At first your toes are not cooperative, not used to working independently of each other which is what's required to get the right toe into the right slot. Persist and after a week, you'll find yourself slipping into them as easily as slippers. Over time, you'll notice you actually have a bit of spacing between your toes!

  • Amazon Prime - This is the closet thing I'll ever have to having a magical genie. Seriously, it's uncanny!  I wish for something and in in two days it appears on my doorstep! Amazon Prime is a $70ish annual  fee you pay so that most everything you purchase includes free shipping. I exploit it. And because I have the Amazon app on my phone, I am only a few clicks away from solving annoying problems. I'm in the kitchen. "Damn the teapot is leaking. I need to get a new one. Let's see what Amazon has. Good price. That red one is stylin'." Scroll. Place order with one click. Two days later a red teapot on my doorstep. Opening my mail . "Damn this letter opener is for shit - so dull. "I know! Amazon app, 'Letter Openers'. That one looks inexpensive and sharp!" Scroll. Click. Two days letter the letter opener fairies deliver a new letter opener to me!  Point is, it's the little things that make us crazy and can send us all over town or worse just living with leaky teapots and dull letter openers - a never-ending source of irritations. It's my theory that all those little irritations add up and make us irritable people. Amazon to the rescue.

  • Jane's Crazy Mixed Up Salt - Have you ever read one of those chef interview articles where the writer asks each chef for a description of their one secret, go-to ingredient? Things like black truffle oil, volcanic sea salt flakes from Cyprus, or preserved lemons, sorghum syrup or raw orange blossom honey? Well my not-so-secret ingredient (cuz I'll tell anyone who asks) is Jane's Crazy Mixed Up Salt. It comes in a little cardboard cylindrical container at the regular grocery store. That and some coarsely ground pepper is often all my cooking needs to be heavenly "scent".  

This is fun. Listing and being grateful for things that add ease, zest and health to my life. Getting long here so maybe tomorrow I'll continue the list. There's a bunch more. Your challenge could be trying some of these things with the thought, "If Sarah loves them then they must be worth looking into!"

Peace and have a wonderful Monday,

Sarah

No comments:

Post a Comment